Goharshad Mosque was once a free standing mosque, but now serves as one of the prayer halls within the Imam Ridha Mosque complex, in the Razavi Khorasan Province of Iran.
It was built by the orders of Queen Goharshad, the wife of Shah Rukh of the Timurid Dynasty in 1418 CE and by the architect Ghavameddin Shirazi. The Architect of the edifice was Ghavameddin Shirazi, who is responsible for so many of Shah Rukh’s great buildings, with the architectural and decorative manpower supplied from Shiraz and Isfahan.
The mosque underwent some renovations during the Safavid and Qajar era. It has 4 iwans and a courtyard measuring 50 X 55 meters, as well as several Shabestans.
The double layered dome of the mosque was severely damaged in 1911 in bombings.
Back to Mosques of Iran =>