Beautiful Mosques

Beautiful and historical mosques around the world


Browsing Posts tagged Turkey

Alaeddin Camii

Completed in 1220, the Alaeddin Camii is the oldest known Seljuk mosque in Turkey. It is built into the hill that forms the citadel of Konya; its pointed arch and round domes atop two tombs are prominent features in Konya’s cityscape. With the exception of Izzeddin Keykavus, all of the Seljuk sultans after 1156 are interred in the complex.

Its oblong, hypostyle plan is influenced by Arabic classical architecture, but it is very much a Seljuk building. In fact, it is an agglomeration of two major rebuilding campaigns undertaken by both Sultan Izzeddin Keykavus and Sultan Alaeddin Keykavus.

The entrance portal is decorated in alternating grey and white marble and intricately interlocking voussiours. The building itself is made of a variety of stone types, many of them reused from Byzantine buildings.

Once inside the building the hall is divided into bays and aisles by 42 columns reused from antique buildings. These support the vaulted stone ceiling. The ebony minbar dates to 1155 and is probably the only element surviving from the earliest mosque. The mihrab is tiled in three shades of blue, and was probably built by Kerimeddin Erdim Shah, who built the dome.

Fethiye Camii

Fethiye camii, formerly called the Theotokos Pammacaristos Church, is located at Fener. A church formed by a main sanctuary was built in the 11th century by John Comnenus and his wife Anna Doukaina. The church was rebuilt in the early 14th century by Michael Glabas who added a side chapel to the southeast as a burial place for himself and his family. The finest examples of golden mosaics dating from the 14th century can be seen here. In 1455, the Orthodox patriarchate was transferred here from the Church of the Saint Apostles, then moved to St George Church in 1586 when the church was turned into a mosque.

Its Turkish name, meaning “Mosque of the victory”, was given to commemorate Sultan Murat III ’s victories. While the main building is still used as a mosque, the funerary chapel which contains the mosaics is now a museum currently open to visitors

Sehzade Camii

The Sehzade Mosque is an Ottoman imperial mosque located in the district of Fatih, on the third hill of Istanbul, Turkey.

The Sehzade Mosque was commissioned by Sultan Suleiman I in memory of his eldest son, Prince Mehmet.
It was the first major commission by the Imperial Architect Mimar Sinan, and was completed in 1548. It is considered by architectural historians as Sinan’s first masterpiece of classical Ottoman architecture.

The mosque is surrounded by an inner colonnaded courtyard (avlu) with an area equal to that of the mosque itself. The courtyard is bordered by a portico with five domed bays on each side, with arches in alternating pink and white marble. At the center is an ablution fountain (sadırvan), which was a later donation from Sultan Murat IV. The two minarets have elaborate geometric sculpture in low bas-relief and occasional terracotta inlays.

The mosque itself has a square plan, covered by a central dome, flanked by four half-domes. The dome is supported by four piers, and has a diameter of 19 meters and it is 37 meters high. It was in this building that Sinan first adopted the technique of placing colonnaded galleries along the entire length of the north and south facades in order to conceal the buttresses.

The interior of the Sehzade Mosque has a symmetrical plan, with the area under the central dome expanded by use of four semi-domes, one on each side, in the shape of a four leaf clover. This technique was not entirely successful, as it isolated the four huge piers needed to support the central dome, and was never again repeated by Sinan. The interior of the mosque has a very simple design, without galleries.