Designed by Tan Kok Hiang and Forum Architects, this building provides a boldly modern face to Islam by creatively re-interpreting the traditional form of the arabesque – a universally recognizable symbol of Islamic Art and Architecture. Contemporary materials such as fair-faced concrete and aluminum (for the intricate arabesque screens) are used to dramatic effect.
The domeless four-story mosque stands in a neighborhood of highrise residential buildings on the north side of the island.
* Project name: Assyafaah Mosque
* Client: Majlis Ugama Islam Singapura
* Calligrapher: Yahiya, Xian China
* Principal designer/s: Tan Kok Hiang
* Contractor/s: Evan Lim Construction Pte. Ltd.