Mecca Masjid, which is one of thw world’s largest mosques, is adjacent to Charminar. It has a space for about 10,000 worshippers. In 1614, Mahammed Quli Qutb started the construction of this mosque but it was not finished until 1687. Aurangazeb, one of the Great Mughal Emperor, extended his empire to Golconda Kingdom and only under his rule this mosque’s construction was completed. Several bricks used for construction are made with the soil from Mecca and hence the name, Mecca Masjid. The inscriptions of Quran in the colonnades and the door arches are made from single slab of granite.